Main menu shortcut Left menu shortcut Contents shortcut

New Hope, Future City Buk-gu

Origin and History

ulsan metropolitan city

Ulsan belonged to Jinhan in the Samhan times.

Its name was later changed to Hakok, and it was incorporated into Imran-gun in the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok, the 35th King of Silla.

During the reign of King Taejo in the Goryeo Dynasty, Hago, Dongjin, and Woopoonghyun were integrated, and were collectively promoted as Heungryobu. During the reign of King Hyeonjong, the 16th King in the Goryeo Dynasty, its name was changed to Ulju.

  • In the 13th year of Taejong, the 3rd King of the Joseon Dynasty, it was promoted as Ulsan Dohobu, and it became known as Ulsan-gun in the 32nd year of King Gojong.
  • In 1914, Eonyang-gun was integrated into Ulsan-gun, and the latter's administrative jurisdiction was reorganized into Ulsan-myeon, Hasang-myeon, and Daehyun-myeon.
  • In 1962, it was designated as Ulsan Special Industrial Zone, and was promoted as Ulsan City in the same year. The name Ulsan-gun was then changed to Ulju-gun. In 1985, the district system was enforced, and as Ulsan City was promoted to Ulsan Metropolitan City on July 15, 1997, Buk-gu was established as a self-governing district, with Songjeong, Hyomoon, Jinjang, Yangjeong-dongs of Joong-gu and Nongso-eup, Ulju-gu, and Gangdong-myeon as part of the district.
  • Buk-gu started out with 8 dongs (administrative unit), but Yeompo-dong was incorporated into Buk-gu, so it came to consist of 9 dongs.
  • As Jinjang-dong and Hymoon-dong were integrated on October 1, 1998, the 8-dong system was once again put into practice. Its governing office was opened in 1004-1, Yeonam-dong, Buk-gu on June 1, 2001.